Progress Report

Seeds have Started

Well, since the entire world decided to start gardening this week, my little seed planters I ordered are now out of stock. I may get them in the next couple of weeks, we will see. So, I did go ahead with some peat pots I had to start planting spinach and lettuce. I put those in a tray with a plastic lid for a makeshift greenhouse, and I think those will do fine outside.

50 of my peat pots in a tray filled with spinach and lettuce seeds. This tray has a transparent plastic lid.

Even though I planned out what will fit in my garden spots, I am unsure as to how much we will actually eat, store, whatever. I guess I will figure it out as I go along. If I don’t have enough, well, I am no worse off than I am now. If I have more than enough, I am hoping to preserve some, give away some (we have a homeless shelter nearby) or give some to our guinea pigs, who can eat almost any plant. I’m sure by next year, I will have a much better idea of how much I want to plant of each thing.

I also filled up the famous Home Depot pot with just dirt from our ground (the peat pots are filled with potting soil) to see how things do in our dirt. Its pretty dark and mulchy, actually, because it has been mulched several times. In the pot, I planted some marigolds and some wild flowers.

Large, terra cotta pot filled with soil and sitting on our porch next to a black metal glider.

I planted 2 tomato plants and 2 pepper plants in bigger peat pots I had. I’m keeping those inside for starters.

Two small pots with pepper plants in them on the left, with two small pots with tomato plants in them on the right in a window sill.

I am trying to figure out how to keep track and label all of these. I am thinking of trying those plastic label sticks with a slate and stylus (hand-poked braille). It might be kind of hard to poke them, but I’ll see how I do. I have a Perkin’s braille writer as well, so if I can hold them in there properly, I can try that, too. I could also label the plastic with brailled stickers, but they have a tendency to fall off. For now, I am just memorizing where I put everything. But I can see this needs to find a solution for larger planting.

I also spread around my pine straw bale today. Originally, I was going to use the straw for just in between my three garden boxes. But then I got the community garden and so only decided to do one box for now. So, I just laid it out in my yard. It wasn’t big enough to fill the whole yard, but I thought it might help control weeds for part of it. Maybe I was just bored today.

My raised bed with pine straw around it.

Speaking of my community garden plot. We went to visit it yesterday, but didn’t do much, just pulled a couple of weeds. The padlock to the shed was changed… a brand new lock identical to the old one that is still inaccessible to me. This kind of stuff happens all the time. I explain myself, I put in a link that showed the kind of lock I need, I even offer to pay for it and get it myself, but people don’t understand. It always seems to take 3-6 tries to get something changed to an accessible something. Even something as cheap and easy as a padlock.

Not much else to be done until the weather is just a bit warmer and/or I get my little seed starter trays. But here is a nice bush in our yard:

I don’t know what kind of bush this is, but it blooms these white flowers every march, then it never grows leaves the rest of the year. Weird.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s